Subject: Re: Gzip for AmigaDOS
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: She stares at the screen at the little words in green <beard@baynet.co.uk>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/20/1996 13:38:16
>> I realise this, but as ".tgz" and ".tar.gz" are one and the same, I thought
>> I could gunzip a ".tgz" file and be left with a ".tar" file.
>
>No.. hm.. perhaps it would actually be smart to first rename .tgz file to
>tar.gz, since gzip will try to remove the .gz extension from the file.

That's what I have been doing....;-)

>> The other thing is, if this version of gzip uses the same compression
>> routine as the one I use under i386 Linux, then why do I get different
>> filesizes when I compress a file under each ?

>They shouldnt.

Well the AmigaDOS version gives a slightly longer filesize on the one file I
tested.
It's only a couple of bytes difference, but I would have thought it would be
the same.
I had a ".gz" file which I created using the i386 Linux version of Gzip,
which I decompressed and then recompressed using the AmigaDOS version of
gzip. The file compressed under AmigaDOS was larger!

beard@baynet.co.uk

Team AMIGA