Sick A3000 questions.

Ok, I've got my sick A3000 here, and I'm still trying to fix it.

I've got my problem narrowed down to the Paula chip. The machine works fine
if I apply just the right pressure to the chip.

I'm told this is an indication of a cold or bad solder connection. Since this
chip is socketed, does anybody think it's feasible to fix this socket?

Also, I noticed that my 030 runs rather warm. Is this normal? A couple of
minutes after power-up, the chip is considerably warmer than other chips
on the board. I'm told that it runs warm, but how warm is it *really*
supposed to be?

Heh, it was me looking for hot chips that caused me to put pressure on Paula
in the first place.

Also, are discolorations on chips indicative of problems in the chip (perhaps
a heat problem that caused some other problem)? I have a borrowed a3000 with
the Amber chip showing different colors on one side of the chip. Is that a
bad thing?

Oh, and a reminder: if you have an a3000, and you haven't replaced the clock
battery yet, *do* *it* *soon*. Either that or take your machine apart every
few weeks, or once a month, and check to make sure the battery isn't leaking.
Not paying attention to this can cost you your machine.

Thanks for your help! With any luck, I'll be up and running NetBSD again
before Christmas. Then over Christmas I can upgrade 1.1A to something
current, perhaps -current.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. -   kpneal%pobox.com@localhost
XCOMM     http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/       -   kpneal%eos.ncsu.edu@localhost