Subject: Re: Sick A3000 questions.
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Doug Lee <douglee@douglee.gts.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/10/1996 14:43:33
:Ok, I've got my sick A3000 here, and I'm still trying to fix it.
:
:I've got my problem narrowed down to the Paula chip. The machine works fine
:if I apply just the right pressure to the chip.
:
:I'm told this is an indication of a cold or bad solder connection. Since this

This could indicate a bad solder connection from the socket to the
motherboard. To repair this, you'll have to remove the whole mohterboard to
solder the pins on the underside. The other easier possibility is that the
chip just needs to be reseated in it's socket. Just remove and replace it to
do this. You can also carefully raise it a bit without actually removing it
from the socket and then press it back down if you're afraid of bending
pins.

:Also, I noticed that my 030 runs rather warm. Is this normal? A couple of
:minutes after power-up, the chip is considerably warmer than other chips
:on the board. I'm told that it runs warm, but how warm is it *really*
:supposed to be?

It's probably OK if it works. yes they do run warm. There are also 4 pal
chips which get very hot. These are 18 pin socketed chips with Commodore
part numbers on top. These are a type of logic chip which are custom
programmed to replace a lot of standard logic chips in the design.

:Also, are discolorations on chips indicative of problems in the chip (perhaps
:a heat problem that caused some other problem)? I have a borrowed a3000 with
:the Amber chip showing different colors on one side of the chip. Is that a
:bad thing?

Not necessarily, but it maybe. Your machine could also be running too hot
due to poor ventilation or a dirty fan or high ambient temperature.

Make sure the fan is clean. If not, you can remove it from the power-supply
and clean it with paper towels, toilet paper, qtips etc. The top comes off
the power supply with the fan attached to it and the electrical
connections may be unplugged to completely free it.

:Oh, and a reminder: if you have an a3000, and you haven't replaced the clock
:battery yet, *do* *it* *soon*. Either that or take your machine apart every
:few weeks, or once a month, and check to make sure the battery isn't leaking.
:Not paying attention to this can cost you your machine.

Just curious. DID the clock still run with the power off when the battery
was leaking???