Re: grfmodes for merlin

Hi Christian,

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Christian Kristukat wrote:

> btw: I got them with an old version of ModeInfo-Prefs program
> and these values tend to confuse me, cause the values
> for vertical display description (resolution 800x600)are
> in the range of 600-660 and the horizontal ones range from
> 99 to 130, and that ist what appears strange to me.
> The vertical values seem to be a pixel based information and
> the horizontal ones not....

The values from Modeinfo-prefs don't work! i tried it some time ago,
b'cos i had no grfmodes file too. the first U can try is the
grfconfig-tool itself. it has a switch (don't know the name but there is
only one) which gives you the installed grfmodes in the needed format.
unfortunately only one pre-installed mode is the one from the console.
but this is better than nothing :-)
You can also use the MoniTool from the Graffity package by Tobias Abt &
Alexander Kneer which can output selfmade grfmodes in a NetBSD-readable
format. this is possibly the best way at the moment but you must install
graffity.

> I tried with the example grfmodes file in the X-FAQ and I
> got a display which looked very ugly but I could see the
> windows appearing and I managed to exit X by menu. Is it
> the bug in the merlin driver when running under zorro3 or
> is it just a wrong grfmodes file?

Are there example modes for the merlin in the X-FAQ? I did not found them!
If you run X in ZIII mode, you will get small lines from top of the
screen to the bottom. between them you see the normal X-screen. the
distance between the lines is about 3 pixels and the lines itself are 3
pixels in width. if it looks like that, your merlin is in ZIII-mode.

> And the last question to merlin-owners: how can I switch to
> zorro2 mode? Closing the jumper on the board doesn't help!

It MUST help. I know no other way. and pls note that in ZII mode you will
only have 2MB Merlin-RAM even if you have 4MB in ZIII mode.

Sincerely,
        Stephan