Subject: Re: grfmodes for merlin
To: None <semmel@emmi.physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/21/1996 12:04:07
   Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:23:50 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Christian Kristukat <semmel@emmi.physik.TU-Berlin.DE>

   again and again questions concerning merlin gfxboard:

   Can anynody send me a /etc/grfmodes matching the merlin board,
   or can anybody teach me how to make the file myself?
   The values I got for hbs,hss,hse... aren't working.

   btw: I got them with an old version of ModeInfo-Prefs program
   and these values tend to confuse me, cause the values
   for vertical display description (resolution 800x600)are
   in the range of 600-660 and the horizontal ones range from
   99 to 130, and that ist what appears strange to me.
   The vertical values seem to be a pixel based information and
   the horizontal ones not....

You need pixel based ones for the NetBSD- (1.1 or later) drivers.  A
couple of VGA/SuperVGA chipsets (including the one used by Merlin, I
think) use a factor of 8, but as others use different values (e.g. the
A2410 board uses 16) we switched to a hardware independend
representation then.

You will need to multiply the horizontal values read by your AmigaOS
tool by 8, yielding pixel clock based values of hm... 792 to 1040 for
your example.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis