Subject: Re: NetBSD1.2 installation adventure
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Stephan Quitzsch <wir95ccv@rzaix340.rz.uni-leipzig.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/19/1996 16:06:37
On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Greg Oster wrote:

> markus@tiger.teuto.de writes:
> > Stephan Quitzsch wrote:
> > > Will this be fixed someday?
> >
> >  Yes, it will be fixed, when _you_ start to help and program.
>
> Where might he find the source so he could do this?  In fact, where might
> interested parties find sources for the old X11R5 server for the Retina Z2
> so they might begin building an X11R6.1 server for the Z2?  Or perhaps the
> sources for the X11R6.1 servers for all the other graphics cards?
>
> It's rather hard to volunteer to fix something when you can't see the sources.
> You can't even begin to estimate how difficult it will be solve a particular
> problem, or whether you have enough expertise to tackle it.  The response
> above indicates that Stephan should write his own X11 server for the Merlin II
> in ZIII mode.  That's just plain silly, given the tremendous effort Bernd (or
> whoever) has put into the Merlin server, and how much easier it would be to
> build upon that work.

Believe me, I would immediately start to code something, if knew enough
about Tseng, X11 and the NetBSD internas. perhaps someone could give some
advises where to find the right literature. But perhaps it is more
efficient if someone of the netbsd-developers fixes his own code before i
start to read and to read and to hack and to reboot :-) and perhaps give
up at the end. The NetBSD-project is great but not everyone can be a
developer, there must be some simple users too.

Sincerely,
	Stephan