Subject: Re: 1.2 is sloooow....
To: None <bn@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/19/1996 12:53:07
Hi Bo,

> OK, I've already done all that.  I wasn't sure about all the different
> file systems though so I left them in there for the time being. What's
> the union and loopback file system for?  Also, do you know if the

Union: read files from the one original, but write to the other original
(e.g., make CD-ROMs read-write)

Loopback: make a directory tree visible at another place.

> -m68040 flag will ever work corectly?  I  get assembler errors when
> trying to compile the kernel with that flag.  The best I could do
> is -m68020-40

Exactly. And, as the compiler doesn't do real 68040 scheduling anyway (yet)
(to my knowledge, jtc?), and we don't produce floating point
instructions for the kernel, both of your transformation won't do
anything good at the moment.

> % We have a lot more stuff in the kernel nowadays; your emplant driver
> % being only one of them.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that you integrated it.  :-)  I would still like to get
> the serial support in there somewhere, but there just doesn't seem to be
> enough hours in the day.
>
> %
> % If this doesn't help, you might want to play with the VM tuning stuff.
> % (like, how much buffer cache is used, how much NMBUFCLUSTERS are
>
> I feel really stupid asking this question, but where can I find the
> tunable parameters?  I know where they're on Solaris, SCO, AIX, etc,
> but not on BSD.  :-/

Errr... look into errr... sys/arch/amiga/amiga/param.[hc] or was it
m68k/m68k? Anyway, you should set them not there, but as options, or, if
corresponding to patchable (initialized) variables, using binpatch on
the resulting kernel.

Regards,
	Ignatios