Re: NetBSD1.2 installation adventure

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Greg Oster wrote:

> markus%tiger.teuto.de@localhost writes:
> > Stephan Quitzsch wrote:
> > > Will this be fixed someday?
> >
> >  Yes, it will be fixed, when _you_ start to help and program.
>
> Where might he find the source so he could do this?  In fact, where might
> interested parties find sources for the old X11R5 server for the Retina Z2
> so they might begin building an X11R6.1 server for the Z2?

AFAIK nobody knows where they are or who has them. Or am I wrong?

> Or perhaps the
> sources for the X11R6.1 servers for all the other graphics cards?

Will be released soon.

> It's rather hard to volunteer to fix something when you can't see the sources.
> You can't even begin to estimate how difficult it will be solve a particular
> problem, or whether you have enough expertise to tackle it.  The response
> above indicates that Stephan should write his own X11 server for the Merlin
> II
> in ZIII mode.  That's just plain silly, given the tremendous effort Bernd (or
> whoever) has put into the Merlin server, and how much easier it would be to
> build upon that work.

BTW there is no Merlin server. It just uses the dumb framebuffer device
provided by the kernel driver. For some reasons this doesn't work in ZIII
mode.

> (We've been here some time ago.  Bernd probably has his own reasons for not
> releasing the X server sources, and what he does with the source is entirely
> up to him (they are his, after all).  That being said, further development
> and
> fixes to the current X servers will only occur as Bernd sees fit, or until
> someone else writes their own server and releases the code. :-( )

No reason to rant on Bernd alone. He's not the only one with the
sources;-))
But as there existed no guide to install them and they were rather Beta
and with incorrect copyright notices we decided not to release them until
these things are fixed.
It's just to prevent 1000 Mails on how to install an compile it.

BTW, at least we don't charge money for it;-)))

--
Michael Teske (teske%wotan.desy.de@localhost)