Subject: Re: NetBSD1.2 installation adventure
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/18/1996 18:56:30
On Fri Oct 18 16:46:51 1996, Greg Oster wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
>
> > > does it work in Zorro III mode?
> >
> > The console works, X11 not. BUT you get the same answer if you read the
> > readme for X11R6.1
> >
> > Bernd
>
> and then:
>
> markus@tiger.teuto.de writes:
> > Stephan Quitzsch wrote:
> > > Will this be fixed someday?
> >
> >  Yes, it will be fixed, when _you_ start to help and program.
>
> Where might he find the source so he could do this?  In fact, where might
> interested parties find sources for the old X11R5 server for the Retina Z2
> so they might begin building an X11R6.1 server for the Z2?  Or perhaps the
> sources for the X11R6.1 servers for all the other graphics cards?

It is NOT a problem of the Xserver, it is the kernel which is the problem.

> It's rather hard to volunteer to fix something when you can't see the sources.
> You can't even begin to estimate how difficult it will be solve a particular
> problem, or whether you have enough expertise to tackle it.  The response
> above indicates that Stephan should write his own X11 server for the Merlin II
> in ZIII mode.  That's just plain silly, given the tremendous effort Bernd (or
> whoever) has put into the Merlin server, and how much easier it would be to
> build upon that work.

AGAIN, it is NOT the Xserver which is the problem. And Tobias (who made the
ET4000 grf-devices) has also no clue for that problem.

> (We've been here some time ago.  Bernd probably has his own reasons for not
> releasing the X server sources, and what he does with the source is entirely
> up to him (they are his, after all).  That being said, further development and
> fixes to the current X servers will only occur as Bernd sees fit, or until
> someone else writes their own server and releases the code. :-( )

I mentioned in one of my last mails that this source will be available if
we found problem of the not working blitter in the cirrus part and we have to
change/add some copyright. But his will not happen before 2-4 weeks.

Bernd