Subject: Re: NetBSD1.2 installation adventure
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: None <gs@speckle.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/18/1996 11:11:55
>    After reinstalling my amiga boot partition and changing the rdb-names
>    of the unix partitions to ux0, ux1 and ux2 (before swap,local,etc.),
>    I tried again to install NetBSD1.2. I had no problems until
>    extracting of the binaries. Here the extraction stopped with a panic
>    and I ended in a debugger(?). I restartet the installation from the
>
> Maybe like your IDE cabling is too long for the data rates used? IDE
> is no real bus; it has no bus termination and would suffer from
> reflections on the cable.

I thought about this too. I worked for about one year with 2 IDE
harddisks and one ATAPI CD-ROM. Therefor I used a 4-devices adapter.
I used one normal IDE cable from motherboard to 4-devices adapter and
one from the adapter to the harddisk. I never had problems with it.
Using only a single calble from motherboard to one HD doesn't solve
the problem.
OK, now, after many attempts  the system is installed, I hpe I don't
have to reinstall it in near future.

>    scratch and this time I told tar to show the files while extracting.
>    That worked! I havn't encountered any idewait errors anymore, as I
>    reportet monday from my tries at the weekend.
>
>    While booting there are errormessages:
>    unknown.host.domain: bad value (ok. I don't have a network)
>
> Hm. put a line like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1	unknown.host.domain
>
> into your /etc/hosts file. This is the loopback address, which will
> reach your own machine.

There was a line:
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.amiga.home

I would suggest, that the Configure program should suggest this name in /etc/hosts.
Also a note in the installation manual to check this would be nice.

>    unknown getty[90]: /dev/ttype1: Device not configured
>    same messages for getty[95] ttype4, getty[91] ttype2, getty[94] ttype5
>
> ttype4? nonononono.
>
> Its either ttye4 or ttyp4, etc. Probably ttye4.
>
> [With our current setup, grf0 / ttye0 are custom chips, grf1/ttey1
>  Retina Z2, grf2/ttye2 Retina BLT Z3 / Altais, grf3/ttye3 Cirrus Logic
>  boards like e.g. Picasso, grf4/ttye4 is A2410, grf5/ttye5 is Cybervision,
>  grf6/ttye6 are Tseng boards (Domino, Merlin, OmNiBuS).
>
> Edit your /etc/ttys and set the lines corresponding to non-configured
> devices to "off" instead of "on".

Sure, you are right. It should be ttye.

>    The problem now is, that I can't use the cursor keys.(Yes, I know how
>    to use the csh). It is really a pain, if you can't edit the history
>
> Using cursor keys is a feature of tcsh, not normal csh. You can get
> tcsh from ftp.uni-regensburg.de, /pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib.

Ups, I have worked a long time with csh and I used cursor up for editing
the history. But of course you are right, this seems to work only on these
Ultrix Decstations. I tried it on a HP and a Sun workstation and there it
doesn't work.
I have installed the tcsh, but there is a new problem with the keymap:
The "Umlaute" (special german cheracters: a,u,o with two dots) don't work anymore,
they worked with the csh. The Del key works like the backspace.
In the vi hex values appear instead of the Umlaute.

> Basically, the right thing to do (in MY opinion) is to setup xdm so
> that you get a X11 login window. Unfortunately (for you), I hate (from

I have already missed the login screen. I am planning to figure out how
xdm works at the weekend.

> past experience under SunOS) the startx approach and have no idea how
> to set it up nicely. I guess your .login or .csh would be the right
> place (but only if it wasn't set before... you don't want to change it
> if it is already set right :-)

I thought that it should be set automatically. That was the reason I asked.
Obviosly it is not, so I'm going to set the display in each .login.

Thank you very much for your help! I think I have learned a lot of things
in the past few days.
Maybe the maintainer of the FAQ can add some of these points to the next
revision of the FAQ, so nobody else has to ask these questions.

Yours Gerd