NetBSD1.2 installation adventure

Hi!

After reinstalling my amiga boot partition and changing the rdb-names
of the unix partitions to ux0, ux1 and ux2 (before swap,local,etc.),
I tried again to install NetBSD1.2. I had no problems until
extracting of the binaries. Here the extraction stopped with a panic
and I ended in a debugger(?). I restartet the installation from the
scratch and this time I told tar to show the files while extracting.
That worked! I havn't encountered any idewait errors anymore, as I
reportet monday from my tries at the weekend.

While configuring the system I used the defaults (hostname:
unknown.host.domain, domain: host.domain), because I don't have a
network and I don't know what to use in this case, hope this is ok.
I didn't change the sendmail.cf and the netstart files. At this
point the vi wasn't useable: "vi netstart" : "ex/vi: Error:unknown:
no such file or directory". After the reboot the vi works.

While booting there are errormessages:
unknown.host.domain: bad value (ok. I don't have a network)
unknown getty[90]: /dev/ttype1: Device not configured
same messages for getty[95] ttype4, getty[91] ttype2, getty[94] ttype5

The problem now is, that I can't use the cursor keys.(Yes, I know how
to use the csh). It is really a pain, if you can't edit the history
and have to use backspace to correct a mistyping. In vi cursor keys work!
I installed the german keymap, but this didn't help. I read the Installing
notes, the NetBSD amiga FAQ and the NetBSD Amiga X FAQ, but I didn't found
any hint. Are there other FAQs?

Another small point came to my mind: Before starting X I have to set the
DISPLAY manually. Where should I place the "setenv DISPLAy :0.0" to do
this automatically? Or is this a problem of my wrong network config?

Please help, I don't know wheter my problems occure because of the Configure
program or because of an installation mistake by me. At least you see
where to improve the FAQs and installation notes to help newbies like me.

At last something that work: X11R6.1 does work on my Merlin II. Great!

My config: A4000 Cyberstorm MK II 1.2G Fireball IDE harddisk

Gerd (Email: gs%speckle.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de@localhost)