Re: L68K: Re: Linux/m68k & NetBSD compatible?

Ignatios> Konstantinos Margaritis <markos%acropolis.net@localhost> asked: I
Ignatios> would like to install both Linux/m68k 2.0.22 and
Ignatios> NetBSD/Amiga 1.2.

markos>       What I'm asking is if Linux/m68k and NetBSD/Amiga can
markos> access the same filesystems (ext2fs?).

Ignatios> Why don't you ask if Linux/m68k and NetBSD/m68k can access
Ignatios> the same filesystem (Berkeley 4.4 ffs)?
Ignatios> But to my knowledge, both options don't work at the moment.

Correct, and of course asking the question both ways is relevant.
I have a few questions though, is BFFS-4.4 compatible with UFS or does
NetBSD support Minix V2? In that case it might be possible to share
partitions though I definately wont recommend trying to share any kind
of system files.

Ignatios> You can share the swap, however. I think you'll need to
Ignatios> mkswap on Linux after you've worked with NetBSD. Changing
Ignatios> the other way is easier, as NetBSD just checks for the RDB
Ignatios> "dostype" field of NBS\7.

Correct, Linux currently does not use the RDB partition-type for this.

markos>       If so, maybe it is not even necessary to keep two
markos> separate /root partitions, but instead boot from a different
markos> kernel each time.

Ignatios> eeek. Even if you could share a filesystem type, you
Ignatios> wouldnt't want to do this. Linux has a quite different setup
Ignatios> of (e.g.) startup and configuration files... and different
Ignatios> object file formats of the files in /bin and /sbin.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

markos>       Someone tell me if I am wasting my time with this. I
markos> need a stable and= fast UNIX, that supports my CS mkII 68060
markos> card and PiccoloSD64 (using bo= th standard console and
markos> X11R6).

Ignatios> M68060 cpu and Piccolo SD64 are supported by out-of-the-box
Ignatios> NetBSD-1.2.  Note, however, that the CS mk II SCSI option is
Ignatios> not yet supported by us.

The M68060 and the CS mkI SCSI are currently supported by Linux
(latest release it 2.0.22). A beta driver for the CS mkII is available
but we do not know if it actually works as we have not been able to
test it yet, due to lack of hardware access (the changes from mkI to
mkII are pretty trivial so I think there is a pretty good chance that
it will work).

A driver for the Piccolo (and all the other Cirrus Logic based boards)
is in the works, but has not been released for beta-testing yet.

Jes