Subject: Re: Using Amiga disks on unix...
To: None <L.A.Guest@comp.brad.ac.uk>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/10/1996 15:17:53
  Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 13:38:12 +0100 (BST)
   From: "Oldin' McGroin" <L.A.Guest@comp.brad.ac.uk>

   I am currently using a sun (with solaris) at university and would like to
   access amiga disks from my account (which is limited to about 40mb). Is
   there a device driver for unix which i could compile on the sun's here?

eeek. Let me assume you talk about floppy disks (you didn't tell).

a) the SUN's hardware can't read or write the AMiga style sector
encoding on floppies.

b) you can use MSDOS style byte encoding on the Amiga with NetBSD-1.2 using
fd0b instead of fd0a, etc.

You can read/write MSDOS and Berkeley FFS filesystems there, or read/write
tar archives on the raw disks.

You should be able to read/write tar disks from Solaris;

you can read/write MSDOS disks, too (but SunOS's PCFS is dead slow;
don't know about Solaris, but you can always compile and use the
"mtools" package on the raw disks instead)

for Berkeley FFS, I guess you'll need compatibility options on BOTH
systems so that you would use pure 4.3bsd format instead of Suns and
instead of 4.4BSD's. Study both system's newfs manpage for details.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis