Subject: Re: NetBSD-Amiga 1.2
To: None <cs_yus@sal.lamar.edu>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/10/1996 14:51:56
YU SONG <cs_yus@sal.lamar.edu> asked:

   I have read the entire Install Instruction for NetBSD-Amiga 1.2 in which
   therre are lots of supported and unsupported devices mentioned. I am
   currently using NetBSD 1.1 with tty and X11R6 configured for CV64 and
   have a little bit of reluctance of upgrading because it will take long
   time to reconfigure lots of stuffs. I am mostly concerning about whether
   1.2 supports ADOS read

yes

   /write,

no

[Note that you can now read/write MSDOS and Berkeley FFS 720k floppies
(and 1440 if you have an AMiga HD drive)].

   audio,

no; however, there is a loadable kernel module available
(ftp.uni-regensburg.de) which allows audio

   better CD-ROM support ( every time I
   mount CD, BSD complains bounce at xxxx something which I don't remember
   exactly ),

well, if you dont tell anybody what the _exact_ problem is, how do you
expect it to get fixed?

   and faster VM ( I've experienced slow VM while compiling large
   complex C++ programs

   and Linux/PC surely utilizes less VM than NetBSD
   under same loading pressure ),

Given that the average PC (assuming it is powerful enough to operate
Microsoft Windows (tm)) has a factor of 10 in CPU speed and a factor
of 4 in memory to the nearly-high-end Amiga, I'm not totally sure you
can really blame all of this to the NetBSD VM system. However, I must
admit that there are a few problems observed by some people (however,
not by me on 68060/50 with 32 MB and 68030/25 with 16 MB), and the
NetBSD developers are discussing at the moment how to improve it.

There might have been some improvements between -1.1's and -1.2's
kernel performance, which also help the VM system.

   Could someone give these information or point me where I can
   get more?

For the VM performance issue: tech-kern@netbsd.org

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis