Subject: Re: NetBSD & 060
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephan Quitzsch <wir95ccv@rzaix340.rz.uni-leipzig.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/07/1996 15:17:22
On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a) Dhrystone is a surprisingly stupid (for modern CPUs) test. e.g., it
> can't distinguish the 3-2-2-2 memory access of the old DraCo boards
> from the 2-1-1-1 of the new ones. So you shouldn't use it at all. :-)
Ok

> b) are you sure you used dhrystone right? You have to make sure the HZ
> symbol corresponds to what your libraries' timer functions actually
> use.  For "portability", this is set by dhry.h rather than reading it
> off the system includes.
First I used times() and I had a big gap between AmigaOS and NetBSD with
all combinations of HZ. Then I switched off the branch cache, increased
the cycles by 100 and compiled with time() and the results are nearly
equal now.

> c) did you compile with -m68060, to disable "optimizations" which use
> the no longer existant 32x32->64bit multiplication to replace a 32 bit
> division by a constant?
I compiled with -m68040 on both systems b'cos I didn't got versions from
gcc with a -m68060 option.

Sincerely,
	Stephan Quitzsch