Kernel hacking && Re: binary conversion

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 05:21:45 -0400 (EDT),
Jose Alburquerque <jose%alexandria.net@localhost> wrote about i386/m68k binary
conversion:

> Would it be possible to convert a binary program or library for
> NetBSD-i386 to m68k-NetBSD binary fomat with some sort of conversion
> program?  Just curious.

Well, one has first to get his/hers hands on a NetBSD i386 dissambler,
which converts it all the way back to it's C source.
Then he or she should find a tool which wields all the NetBSD i386 depedancies
out (In case you're converting a X server for a PCI board)

In other words, unlikely I'm afraid :*\

But now the bright side of this story. this is unix, and it is free.
this means that almost any (non commercial) source is available for
the NetBSD system.

I've compiled succesfully out of the box:
gcc-2.7.2 from prep.ai.mit.edu
libg++2.7.1 (or 2.7.2 dunno) with some tweaks in the makefiles
ncftp-2.0.3
Xearth-1.0
vim-4.2 with X11r6 support.

If there is something that is too big too compile on your system,
you can always have a look at some precompiled binaries at
ftp://ftp.uni-regensburg.de/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/

btw, *should* there be kernal hackers how-to's ??? I could code
support for Blizzard 1230-IV (If I had one) or disklabel write support
But I really don't know enough of the innards of NetBSD-Amiga.
But the question with the Blizzard 1230-IV is:
same manufacturer and product ID (8512/11) same board address.

I think the base address for the Blizzards FAS216 controller just moved
elsewhere. so try to peek in the boards rom code, find a revision string
and figure out new base register for the FAS chip. (or is it not that simple
?)

Greetings from Holland!
    Ruben.

|  _             _        |\X/ Amiga is it, the rest is ... ||_  @ / Key on