unlocking tty00

Hi,

I've been trying to use the serial port (tty00) through a user (not root)
and keep running into problems.  I get an error saying that there is some
kind of lock on the device by uucp.  I found a lock file and deleted it,
but still no change.  I tried to add the user to the uucp group, but there
is no uucp entry in /etc/group.  Anybody know what I can do?  Root, of
course, can access the device.

Rick

///
/  Rick Dhami
   Undergraduate, Department of Computer Science
   University of Victoria
   Victoria, BC, Canada

   rdhami%gulf.uvic.ca@localhost
rdhami%uvic.ca@localhost