Subject: Re: Problem with gcc2.7.2
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/14/1996 19:25:18
On Feb 26, 11:34pm, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Mon Feb 26 21:50:16 1996, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 26,  8:20pm, Kortelainen Mika wrote:
> > > it would work nicely... but for some reason it dies when I compile
> > > usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c (I hope the path is correct, I'm not
> > > under NetBSD right now).  The message I get is "internal compiler error"
> > > and then it tells it has received signal 6 and dumps core (although
> > > this core file is not recognized by gdb).
> >
> >   Ah, I am not alone!
>
> Strage, I don't have that problem here:

  I just found out something interesting about this problem.  Every time
I have attempted to compile xinstall, I've gotten this same error.  A few
weeks ago, I was building the entire distribution.  I had been using
MAXBSIZE set to MAXPHYS in sys/param.h, but this time I left it at
the original value of 16384.  Lo and behold, xinstall compiled with
no problem.  I just finished another compile with MAXBSIZE set to MAXPHYS,
and cc1 aborted.  I looked at xinstall.c, and saw that the function which
the compiler was attempting to compile was using MAXBSIZE.  I changed
the array size to MAXBSIZE/2, which also caused cc1 to abort.  I then
changed it to MAXBSIZE/4, and it compiled sucessfully.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant