Subject: Re: Booting from alternate boot partitions
To: Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@tiger.teuto.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/20/1996 12:22:54
Bruce Albrecht wrote:
> I have a boot partition for NetBSD-1.1 on my A3000 on SCSI device 3. I'd
> like to have a boot partition for NetBSD-current on SCSI device 5, but
> whenever I try to boot from the NetBSD-current boot partition, it still
> starts up with / as being the partition from SCSI device 3.  Is there an
> option for either loadbsd or gobsd which will allow me to select my
> alternate boot partition?

 You could use the bootblock-loader from Michael Hitch and choose the
root-partition by mouse-click.  The problem with NetBSD-Amiga:  It will
attempt to use the last-found root-partition as root.  You therefore need
to use "askroot" to determine the root-partition by hand.  This works great
for me.  I can boot from CD-ROM, floppy, sd0 and sd1.

> Also, gobsd always gives me the error: FATAL: Couldn't load kernel from
> root disk. whenever I try to specify volume, unit or driver.  Does the
> volume need to be formatted as OFS?  I also tried to recompile gobsd
> from the sources, but they're lacking a header file that defines quad_t,
> daddr_t, and something else (ino_t, I think).

 Michael v. Elst certainly has used the newest SAS/C compiler for gobsd.

 gobsd requires the volume to load the kernel from to be mounted.  The
partition must be standard NetBSD-filesystem.  The kernel must be named
"netbsd" and not be a softlink.

 gobsd VOLUME bsd_root:

or

 gobsd driver scsi.device unit 5