Subject: Re: Baud Rate changes?
To: Nickolas Ray Ellson <grimm@teleport.com>
From: G. Baldwin <drizzit@eskimo.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/08/1996 03:20:01
On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Nickolas Ray Ellson wrote:

> Thanks for the information David. Does anyone on this list use the CyberVision
> 64 Kernel and a 28.8 modem at a baud rate of 57600? Or know of a way to get
> the source to the cybervision 64 console kernel so I can try recompiling
> it to allow me to run at a baud rate that can keep up with my modem?

It would be advisable NOT to run your built in serial port at 57600 baud,
period.  The Amiga serial port really isn't that good, and unless you use
a BIG buffer and a lv 6 interrupt, expect dropout, CV64 or not.  Since the
CV64 kernal probably does not have these settings turned on, expect the
worst.

I found that a setting at about 38400 baud works fairly well, even with
smaller buffers.  It really doesn't limit you much unless you are using a
new 33.6KB modem, always get 33.6 connects, and transfer uncompressed data
a lot.  8)

If you have the spare do$h, I suggest that you look into the Multiface
serial cards.  I had one in my A4000 w/ a CV64 and a 4091 and never had
any problems.  Now I have it in my A3000 and it runs great at 57600.

> Nick :)
>

> +------------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
> |                        | Degree Absolute:                                   |
> |      Nick Ellson       |            A.  Find Missing Link                   |
> |                        |            B.  Put It Together                     |
> |   grimm@teleport.com   |            C.  Bang!                               |
> |                        |                - Number Two in "Once Upon a Time"  |
> |   PGP Key Available    |  Home Page        http://www.teleport.com/~grimm/  |

                       Greg Baldwin (drizzit@eskimo.com)
     Amiga junkie and user since 1987    Computer Science & DTV Student
     Commodore64 fan since about 1983    http://www.eskimo.com/~drizzit
               Tyranical EFNet #Amiga Channel Operator "Drizzit"