Subject: Re: Which NetScape?
To: None <hclsmith@ra.isisnet.com>
From: David Hopper <bard@tiamat.chaldea.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/04/1996 17:59:20
Hey there, Hume, you wrote:

> > On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, David Gilbert wrote:
>
> > You're kidding.  You mean to tell me (us) that there is NO graphical web
> > browser that I will be able to run on NetBSD on my Amiga?  There isn't
> > one that can be compiled?
>
> Hubert mailed us this was mailed out not too long ago:
>
> > ftp.uni-regensburg.de:/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/X11/Mosaic-2.7b2-bin11.*
> > and mirrors.
>
> i haven't tried it myself, so i can't say much about it.

Try Mosaic 2.7b3.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.

> >  That will put a serious damper on my
> > intentions to install NetBSD on my system.
>
> it's a bummer, isn't it?  sometimes it's a real pain putting up with
> the stuff you can't get for the amiga.  Escom's got a hard row to hoe
> selling Amigas in a Netrape world...  i just had to buy an IBM to do
> something to try to make a little money, and i'm dissed that there's
> a better browser bundled in Windows '95 than i can download or buy
> for NetBSD/Amiga... despite what can be had for SunOS, Linux, or CrapinTrash.

I think that you're all underestimating the recent push from the Mosaic
developers to catch up to Netscape.  If you haven't seen 2.7b3, well, it's
night and day from 2.7b2.  Some Netscape extensions, a floating toolbar,
right-button context-sensitive menus, and on-the-fly news uudecoding.
The X Mosaic group has outlined an aggressive release schedule, and are
working furiously on it.

>From Scott Power's own words ( http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/
XMosaic/help-on-version-2.7b3.html ):

"All is said and done, we feel very good about this release and we feel
we have made strides towards our goals.  Now that the team is coming
together in a more stable fashion (Brian, Paul, Tommy, and I will be working
on X Mosaic at least through Fall of next year) the releases will come
faster and they will be better.
[...]
Slowly, but surely, the prototype that was X Mosaic is turning into the
program it should have been.  We realize X Mosaic is behind, but we _are_
catching up.  We will shine again."

And if Netscape extensions aren't your cup of tea, use Arena.  Learn style
sheets.  Use them.  Soon, everyone will have to.

> Hume Smith   <hclsmith@isisnet.com>  Alumnus Against Advantage Acadia

David Hopper (bard@tiamat.chaldea.com) : http://tiamat.chaldea.com
Anthropology Department, Stanford University
NetBSD 1.1 (tiamat.chaldea.com) : NEXTSTEP 3.3 (marduk.chaldea.com)
"Two pale drops of fire guttering in the vast consuming darkness" -V. Price