Subject: Re: Which NetScape?
To: Matt Harrell <mharrell@sojourn1.sojourn.com>
From: <>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/04/1996 13:13:05
> On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, David Gilbert wrote:

> You're kidding.  You mean to tell me (us) that there is NO graphical web
> browser that I will be able to run on NetBSD on my Amiga?  There isn't
> one that can be compiled?

Hubert mailed us this was mailed out not too long ago:

> ftp.uni-regensburg.de:/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/contrib/X11/Mosaic-2.7b2-bin11.*
> and mirrors.

i haven't tried it myself, so i can't say much about it.

myself, i've been using w3-2.3.30 on xemacs-19.13.  it's pretty slow,
chews up a lot of colours, and still has some bugs in the newer stuff.
my copy isn't inlining images, but i only very rarely want images
and i -have- seen w3 do them surprisingly well on xemacs (with a much
faster machine).  i think all i need is netpbm.

i've been on pins and needles for tk-4.1 to stabilise so surfit! can
stabilise... with sockets included in tcl7.5, you no longer need a pile
of extensions to use it.  i'd use it now, but there's still some bugs
in critical places.  (ie last time i tried it - v 0.5 - i couldn't fetch
anything.)

>  That will put a serious damper on my
> intentions to install NetBSD on my system.

it's a bummer, isn't it?  sometimes it's a real pain putting up with
the stuff you can't get for the amiga.  Escom's got a hard row to hoe
selling Amigas in a Netrape world...  i just had to buy an IBM to do
something to try to make a little money, and i'm dissed that there's
a better browser bundled in Windows '95 than i can download or buy
for NetBSD/Amiga... despite what can be had for SunOS, Linux, or CrapinTrash.

f*ck f*ck f*ck

--
Hume Smith   <hclsmith@isisnet.com>  Alumnus Against Advantage Acadia