Subject: Re: Cross-Platform Compatability
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com@am061.du.pipex.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/02/1996 21:11:45
Hi Geof,

> I have been messing around with  NetBSD on my Amiga 4000, at home for a few
> months, now my boss wants me to set up a web server using spare parts.  It
> seems the best option is a Mac IIx (030) 8meg we have here running NetBSD.
> The biggest problem is an available compiled httpd server.  Ive found CERN
> httpd for the amiga port but that is about it.  I seem to rember reading
> something about all 68k based versions are binary compatible (with the
> exception of direct hardware calls) is this true?  If so are any other httpd
> servers available anywhere, like Apache or NCSA??
>
> Thanks
>
> Geof

I am running NCSA httpd under NetBSD 1.1 on my Amiga 3000 (to let me carry out
some experiments for a project at work), the standard distribution sources
compiled with no problems. I am using a PC running Netscape 2.0, connected
over a serial PPP link to the Amiga, to test some CGI programs and it all
works very well.

I have no experience of the MAC port of NetBSD but I would expect NCSA httpd
to compile and run just as well on the MAC as on the Amiga.

    George Harvey                   | Amiga A3000T, Picasso-II,
    email: fr30@dial.pipex.com      | MFC-III, AmiTCP, NetBSD