Subject: Re: color AGA X server for NetBSD?
To: MSgt Joseph N. Cox;USAFE CSS/SXQ;480-6171;DEROS <jcox@usaferam.af.mil>
From: Stephan Thesing <isthesin@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/29/1996 16:46:44
On Feb 29, 16:48, MSgt Joseph N. Cox;USAFE CSS/SXQ;480-6171;DEROS wrote:
> Subject: Re: color AGA X server for NetBSD?
> The Xdaniver X server does AGA in color.  The one problem is you can't get full
> screen dimensions.  The version of Xdaniver I use came out last summer.  In
> the installation the author cautions that in DBLNTSC mode anything more than
> 702 pixels wide or 430 pixels deep won't sync.  That is true on my machine.
>
> The author suspects the problem is a problem in NetBSD's AGA support.  The
> problem still exists with NetBSD 1.1.

This is true. The X server only opens another view (/dev/view??) and
sets its dimensions to the requested size (e.g. 704x430).
The view simply maps any request to the underlying graphics hardware
(AGA chip set in this case).
The graphics driver looks at the dimensions requested and chooses an
appropriate graphics mode (hires, DBLNTSC...)
There are only a limited set of different graphics mode in the
driver.
NetBSD1.1 has a new PAL_AGA mode with dimensions up to 704x500 (\approx...).
But for this to work, your kernel must be configured to include
AGA and PAL support.
If this is not the case, reconfig and recompile.

I use Xdaniver with 1.1 and the following dimensions:
startx --  -W 704 -H 500 -X -8 -depth 8
(or was it -width 704 -height 500 ??? Don't have my Amiga handy)

This works fine and the picture is (well) aligned on my monitor.

I tried to write an additional gfx mode for 800x600 but with no success
up to now. Anyhow my knowledge of the interna of the driver and the correct
handling of all the Sync registers is quite limited.....
bye...
	Stephan

> Joe Cox
>-- End of excerpt from MSgt Joseph N. Cox;USAFE CSS/SXQ;480-6171;DEROS

=             Stephan Thesing                 =
=        AG Praktische Informatik             =
=          Technische Fakult"at               =
=         Universit"at Bielefeld              =