Subject: Re: xconsole
To: Jose Alburquerque <jose@smartec.com>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@betty.onshore.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/29/1996 01:37:13
Jose Alburquerque said:
> Can anyone tell me how I could get xconsole to run upon startup for all
> users?  I can get it to run as root, as anyone the xconsole window opens
> with "Couldn't open console" error.  I sort of want it in system.fvwm or
> somewhere general so that it executes for everyone even if they have
> their own .xinitrc.  Thanks so much.

	This isn't exactly a NetBSD or amiga question, but anyway:

	What if a user has his own .fvwmrc and .xinitrc?  All of my users
(well, the ones that actually use console) do this.
	The only way to _force_ everyone to run xconsole is to force them
to use X - by running xdm, with xconsole running as soon as the system
starts the xserver.
	Other than that, don't worry about it - if someone wants to deviate
from your "recommended" setting in the system files, let them pay for any
bad choices.  If this is actually a real problem (ie bugs in certain
xservers), just configure syslogd to not log to console (see syslog.conf).
If you want to see the messages yourself, you can just have xterm or rxvt
execute a "tail -f" of whatever file(s) you want to see.

--
Stephen Champion                 Workstation and Network Consultant
steve@onshore.com                Onshore, Inc.