Re: talk bug?

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Bo Najdrovsky wrote:

> I seem to have a problem with the talkd... for some reason, it always
> says that root is trying to talk, instead of the user initiating the talk
> request.  Also the reply mechanism to actually make the connection doesn't
> work. I checked the permissions, and neither talk and nor ntalkd are
> setuid programs, so I don't know what is causing this.  Does anyone have
> a fix?

Are your running X11/xdm (with sessreg)?  I had the same symptoms.

I fixed it by patching "xc/programs/xdm/sessreg.c":

*** 262,267 ****
--- 262,268 ----
        }
        current_time = time ((Time_t *) 0);
        set_utmp (&utmp_entry, line, user_name, host_name, current_time, aflag);
+       syserr(setlogin(user_name));
        if (!utmp_none) {
  #ifdef SYSV
                utmpname (utmp_file);