What's the problem with gdb??

Hi, I have this porgram here that dumps core, but gdb can't handle it.

first it complains that :

root@atze(14)$ gdb -c postgres.core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.11 (m68k-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

"/src/build/postgres95/postgres.core" is not a core dump: File format not
recognized
(gdb)

Ok if I run NetBSD with the kernel that came with the binary
distribution then it recognizes the dump, but doesn't help me much.

When I want to run the executable and see what happens I get:

(with either kernel that is)

root@atze(15)$ gdb postgres
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.11 (m68k-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
gdb: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 8622656 bytes.

hmm, try ulimit.

root@atze(16)$ ulimit
unlimited

and try again:

root@atze(17)$ gdb postgres
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.11 (m68k-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
gdb: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 8622656 bytes.

What's broken now? gdb or ulimit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I really need this database woring.

Arthur.

__
Arthur Hoffmann                                 hoffmann%it.ntu.edu.au@localhost
========I need a Quantum LPS240 SCSI Hard disk: Dead or Alive=======
++++++++I need a SCSI Scanner - TWAIN compliant              +++++++