Re: Giving a process absolute priority

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 7:09 AM Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> You wrote:

> > > I don't know whether this is plausible; you don't say what your basis
> > > is for thinking the issue is Xvnc getting scheduled out.  But it occurs
> > > to me that, unless you have some independent reason for thinking Xvnc
> > > is the problem, the actual problem might be nothing to do with Xvnc but
> > > rather a brief network hiccup leading to the VNC connection locking up
> > > until a retransmit timer fires and the underlying TCP connection picks
> > > up again.
> >
> > Yeap. Wireshark it. If you can get a few examples of the problem, and
> > it's not obviously a network issue, you can still look at the timing
> > of responses to find system issues.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> Thanks, but I wouldn't have asked for such specific advice if I
> hadn't already spent hours comparing and cross-maatching the contents
> of the numerous logs we keep in addition to the system logs.  For
> us the point is that there is a way of guaranteeing the availability
> of a dedicated CPU and priority access to a network adapter.  So
> we have to do it to keep faith with our users.  Sure, there may be
> issues that arise outside our estate, but I know for sure this one
> didn't.

Why is that distinguishable from a few TCP retransmits on the network
or something like that?

Seems like the nature of using a remote desktop application. Although
I'm sure it's possible some of the bigger name ones that are probably
more widely used among your user base handle that situation better.

Educating users is a thing....

Andy