still can't get X going on 9.2

X wants to start, the logfile has no complaints, just a couple of
keysym issues on stderr, but the server exits "normally" immediately
if it is started via startx/xinit.  If I just run:

%X :0

I get the X background and cursor, but no xterm.  My .xinitrc worked
with X under 7.0, and I've tried various modifications but to no
avail.  From the screen flashes I get when I try to start X up, it is
as if the .xinitrc has just not been run, or the foreground xterm has
exited because of some unlogged error.  But a few extra lines to echo
progress shows it seems not to fail before the last line, which is:

exec xterm -geometry 80x25+0+0 -name login

So what is happening differently with 9.2 after .xinitrc has been sourced?  Can
anyone suggest some bare-bones invocations of X that might reveal
where the problem is?

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>