Re: /sbin/shutdown STILL not working (NetBSD-9.2_STABLE)

Henry <nbsd4ever%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> The machine is an HP Pavilion Notebook, 15-au123cl.  The previous OS
> on it was Windows 10, under which it was working without any problems.
> The default seems to be to boot EFI, but now that I've installed
> NetBSD, there is no way to confirm what it was doing previously.
> Physically, the machine runs well and is in excellent shape.  I have
> not tried to install an earlier version of NetBSD on it.  I am
> attempting to upgrade my "main server" from a turn-of-the-century IBM
> Thinkpad running NetBSD 7.0.2 (i386).
>
> The dmesg is attached as "dmesghpau123cl.txt.gz".  While a longtime
> user, overall I'm totally clueless.  Sorry.  Please direct me if I
> should send anything else that might help pin the problem down.
> Thanks for working with me.

Reading your dmesg, there is a lack of firmware for drm, and not much
else that seems odd.  Earlier you said:

> Issue the command '/sbin/shutdown -p now' and the system proceeds to
> shutdown normally, but comes to a dead stop without powering down.
> The last four lines left on the screen are (same as with 9.1):

> acpitz0: workqueue busy: updates stopped
> core1temp0: workqueue busy: updates stopped
> core2temp: workqueue busy: updates stopped
> acpibat0: workqueue busy: updates stopped

> The only way to power the machine off is to physically press and hold
> down the power button.

so it seems something in the kernel that should have completed hasn't.
I don't have experience with this sort of hardware.

So, my suggestions are:

  Run 'man boot' and read it carefully, twice :-)

  Try without i915drmkms0, either building a 9 kernel without the
  driver, or using userconf (boot -c) and 'disable i915drmkms0'.

  Disable uts0 with userconf.

  Boot without ACPI and see what happens (-2).  However, I don't expect
  this to be reasonable, but it will give you a data point.

  Boot without multiple cpus (-1).  Again, not reasonable, but a data
  point.

  boot a kernel from netbsd-9 (stable branch) instead of 9.2.  Unlikely
  to improve things, but I prefer to track the stable branch rather than
  staying at a formal release.

  boot a current kernel (with your 9 userland) and see if that works
  better.  If so, think about using a current kernel (and modules), and
  also about upgrading to current.