Re: NetBSD-7.0 boots OK and NetBSD-8.0 hangs/crashes during boot on a MacBook7,1

> Stupid question: are there now actually x86 boards that do *not* have
> a real serial on-board?  I have not seen any so far (none of the new
> ones come with an external connector of course, but they can be added
> easily unless it is a notebook).

Well...for what values of "easily"?  If soldering skill becomes a
prerequisite for doing effective kernel development, that's probably a
nontrivial number of potential developers lost.

Also, is it really a good idea to write off laptops/notebooks/etc?
There are a lot of them, and many of them don't have serial-port
hardware.  (I even have one that's old enough it's not 64-bit-capable
that, as far as I can tell, lacks serial-port hardware.)

On the other hand, last I looked (which was a while ago), puc(4) boards
were still fairly readily available; if that's still true, it's going
to be the rare x86 desktop that can't be given a real serial port.

					Mouse