Re: hardware with serial console

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 06:45:34PM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to make my development a bit less painful.
> Serial console access would be nice.
>
> Can I get a PCI card to do it?

If it is 16550-compatible it should work, provided that the bios
always maps it at the same address. The bootloader, and the kernel
only known about I/O address of the serial console, not a PCI slot
number.

> do I need a special motherboard? it
> doesn't seem to be a commonly advertised feature.

Some server-class motherboards can to console over serial (for the BIOS too),
but you have to look at the BIOS manual to see it