Re: a (different) library question

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 at 19:32, Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> I have two essentially identical machines that are application servers
> for our customers.  The custom software that provides the service is
> 32-bit, and has been running for years on i386 machines, and runs
> perfectly on one of the new servers, and nearly perfectly on the
> other.   But 'nearly' is not good enough.   An error is thrown at one
> particular point, of the style "Sharedobject libxxxx.so not found".
> Said shared object is in /usr/local/lib on both machines, and only in
> /usr/local/lib.   Neither machine has any ld.so.conf file, nor is
> there a library search path in the environment.   What is really odd

Is this dynamic library loaded by ld.so as a dependency of your
executable, as shown by ldd(1)? Or is it required transitively by
another library, in which case the search would take into account
their respective rpath which might be different between machines.

If the error is reported when the application is already running this
might indicate the shared object is loaded using dlopen()? I'm not
familiar with Tcl, but there could be a way to load shared objects
from scripts using arbitrary search paths.

HTH

Joachim