UEFI boot

Where does firmware? (BIOS?) look for the "boot blocks"?

Story so far: I installed NetBSD on a zotac, using /usr/mdec/*.efi.
"BIOS" set to "UEFI only", and all was well.

I then stupidly fought with ubuntu, as it seems to have a "nice" feature
that you can only install as UEFI if you installed from UEFI media. (For
NetBSD, I PXE booted => legacy, and then happily installed UEFI.)

After installation, boot went straight to the ubuntu menu.

I didn't get on with ubuntu 18, so thought I would get back to NetBSD-only
with

  mount /dev/dk0 /mnt
  /mnt/EFI/boot /mnt/EFI/uboot
  mkdir /mnt/EFI/boot
  cp /usr/mdec/*.efi /mnt/EFI/boot

When I reboot, I *still* get the ubuntu menu. I thought that changing
bootx64.efi back to the NetBSD one would be sufficient. Is that not
the way it works?

Cheers,

Patrick