Re: WDCTL_RST

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 04:59:16PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> I updated the BIOS for an Asus Prime X370-PRO from version 3803 to 4012,
> and now all of the real disks fail with "clearing WDCTL_RST failed".
>
> The machine boots, because the M.2 "disk" is detected and works fine.
>
> Given that BIOS updating happens by connecting to the internet and
> being offered the most recent version, downgrading back to the
> old working version might prove to be "interesting".
>
> Any idea if something could be done in -current/amd64 instead?

The "timeout sending FIS" is the real problem.
This is done in polling mode so is probably not an interrupt issue.
Probably something changed in the AHCI controller setup by the BIOS, or
some hardware protection (e.g. iommu) has been activated which prevents
read/write to the controller.
Could you check if the new bios has options to tune in this area ?