Re: umass(4) broken on netbsd-7/amd64?

Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> writes:

> We could introduce an msdos specific 'permissive' option that allows
> readonly mounts.

Might be useful.  But if this is common, and it's just a matter of some
(possibly older) systems making FAT file systems where the FAT has space
to allocate all of a final cluster that's incomplete (ending up with a
FAT area that's slightly larger than needed), whereas others choose to
drop the partial cluster, and not make FAT space for it at all, then
maybe what's needed is to accept both strategies.  (I'm just guessing.)

Anyway, neither CHKDSK under Windows XP nor our fsck_msdos can see
anything wrong with the file systems I'm unable to mount:

: dejah# ;mount /dev/sd0e /m/stick
msdosfs_mountfs(): FATsecs 15264 != real 15259

msdosfs_mount(): msdosfs_mountfs 22
mount_msdos: /dev/sd0e on /m/stick: Invalid argument
: dejah# ;fsck_msdos /dev/rsd0e
** /dev/rsd0e
** Phase 1 - Read and Compare FATs
** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
** Phase 4 - Checking for Lost Files
137 files, 2712576 free (431680 clusters)
: dejah# ;

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay