Realtek wireles drivers

I have finally (thanks to Julio Merino and his sysupgrade(8)) managed
to upgrade one of my Lenovo nettop boxes to 7.0, and had hopes of
seeing its Realtek wireless network device recognised and configured
during the device probe at boot time.

But no joy: the device ID is reported as 0x8179 which everything
relevant on the Web identifies as RTL8188EUS based, and so I was
expecting to see it picked up as urtwn0.   The appropriate firmware
files are in the correct place.

Is it possible that the generic kernel from the install system does
not have this device enabled in its config despite the fact that the
GENERIC config in /usr/src/sys does?

Do other people have experience with this device and/or driver?

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>