Upgrading to 7.0 on amd64

I want to upgrade two machines from 6.1.4 to 7.0.   If I run sysinst
from the INSTALL directory and choose the upgrade option, I get an
error message saying that no hard disk can be found that is available
for NetBSD.   If I try to run the sysinst from an install image of 7.0
I get this error message:

Undefined symbol "_ctype_tab_" referenced from COPY relocation in ./sysinst

I don't want to do a complete new installation, so how should I
proceed?

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>