migrating to amd64

First of all, thanks to those of you who helped me with pointers re.
Firefox and OpenOffice (or rather libreoffice).   I do wonder whether
there might not be a simple way of signposting some of this stuff,
e.g. having a dummy entry in pkgsrc for OpenOffice.   We can't all
keep our eye on the ball day-to-day with changes like this..

Can I ask whether BSD/OS compatibility was ever present in
amd64, and if so was its removal just due to perceived lack of
interest or to technical difficulties?   I have a large base of
statically-linked BSD/OS executables that I have been able to use
unmodified for a couple of decades, but can't take over to amd64 at
present.   I am slightly aghast at the prospect of having to rebuild
the whole lot.   Might I be better off trying to build a virtual
BSD/OS machine to run on Xen?   Otherwise I will have to keep old
hardware running much beyond its plausible lifespan.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

This email is for the addressee only.   If you are not the addressee
you should immediately delete this email from your system(s) and
inform us.   It may contain information that is confidential or
otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to
recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.

S F Blinkhorn MA PhD CPsychol FBPsS, Managing Director,
Psychometric Research & Development Ltd.
PO Box 1143, St Albans, Herts, AL1 9UT, UK
Registered in England No. 1909571
Registered Office: 45 Grosvenor Rd., St Albans, Herts, AL1 3AW
Phone: +44 (0)1727 841455
http://www.prd.co.uk