Re: Does mfi write-back cache work for anyone?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55:45AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> [...]
> I think something still *must* be wrong with the driver -- here is what
> I see, including output from the Linux MegaCLI utility, which is pretty
> sure the battery is just fine:
>
> mfi0 at pci8 dev 14 function 0: Dell PERC 5/i integrated
> mfi0: interrupting at ioapic1 pin 14
> mfi0: PERC 5/i Integrated version 5.2.2-0072
> mfi0: logical drives 1, 256MB RAM, BBU type BBU, status bad
> scsibus0 at mfi0: 64 targets, 8 luns per target
>
>             Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin  Unit
> mfi0 BBU:     FALSE
>   mfi0:0:    online
>
> # ./MegaCli64 -AdpBbuCmd -GetBbuStatus -a0
>
> OSSpecificInitialize: Failed to load libsysfs.so.2.0.2 Please ensure that
> libsfs is present in the system.
> The dependent library libsysfs.so.2.0.1 not available. Please contact LSI for
> distribution of the package
> BBU status for Adapter: 0
>
> BatteryType: BBU
> Voltage: 4084 mV
> Current: 46 mA
> Temperature: 24 C
> Battery State     : Operational
>
> BBU Firmware Status:
>
>   Charging Status              : Charging
>   Voltage                                 : OK
>   Temperature                             : OK
>   Learn Cycle Requested                         : No
>   Learn Cycle Active                      : No
>   Learn Cycle Status                      : OK
>   Learn Cycle Timeout                     : No
>   I2c Errors Detected                     : No
>   Battery Pack Missing                    : No
>   Battery Replacement required            : No
>   Remaining Capacity Low                  : No
>   Periodic Learn Required                 : No
>   Transparent Learn                       : No
>   No space to cache offload               : No
>   Pack is about to fail & should be replaced : No
>   Cache Offload premium feature required  : No
>   Module microcode update required        : No
>

> GasGuageStatus:
>   Fully Discharged        : No
>   Fully Charged           : Yes
>   Discharging             : No
>   Initialized             : Yes
>   Remaining Time Alarm    : No
>   Discharge Terminated    : No
>   Over Temperature        : No
>   Charging Terminated     : No
>   Over Charged            : No
> Relative State of Charge: 100 %
> Charger Status: In Progress
> Remaining Capacity: 323 mAh
> Full Charge Capacity: 323 mAh
> isSOHGood: No

Here is what I get:
swing:/root#./MegaCli -AdpBbuCmd -GetBbuStatus -a0

OSSpecificInitialize: Failed to load libsysfs.so.2.0.2 Please ensure that
libsfs is present in the system.
The dependent library libsysfs.so.2.0.1 not available. Please contact LSI for
distribution of the package
BBU status for Adapter: 0

BatteryType: BBU
Voltage: 3992 mV
Current: 0 mA
Temperature: 19 C
Battery State     : Operational

BBU Firmware Status:

  Charging Status              : None
  Voltage                                 : OK
  Temperature                             : OK
  Learn Cycle Requested                   : No
  Learn Cycle Active                      : No
  Learn Cycle Status                      : OK
  Learn Cycle Timeout                     : No
  I2c Errors Detected                     : No
  Battery Pack Missing                    : No
  Battery Replacement required            : No
  Remaining Capacity Low                  : No
  Periodic Learn Required                 : No
  Transparent Learn                       : No
  No space to cache offload               : No
  Pack is about to fail & should be replaced : No
  Cache Offload premium feature required  : No
  Module microcode update required        : No

GasGuageStatus:
  Fully Discharged        : No
  Fully Charged           : No
  Discharging             : Yes
  Initialized             : Yes
  Remaining Time Alarm    : No
  Discharge Terminated    : No
  Over Temperature        : No
  Charging Terminated     : No
  Over Charged            : No
Relative State of Charge: 98 %
Charger Status: Complete
Remaining Capacity: 1462 mAh
Full Charge Capacity: 1497 mAh
isSOHGood: Yes

I suspect the key point is isSOHGood: you have it set to "no", I have it
set to "yes". I didn't find in documentations what this means exactly,
but I suspect this is the firmware's idea of the BBU status or use.