Re: amd64 direct map causing crashes at boot (Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch)

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 07:47:07AM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:

> I got another report yesterday morning that this is causing problems.
> from the info I've gotten from the other person so far, I'm at a loss
> to explain why this doesn't work for some people.  I've added back
> some code to allow building a kernel with __HAVE_DIRECT_MAP disabled,
> just comment out that block in arch/amd64/include/types.h.

That was me.

I do have two machines that fail to boot with this change.

1) A Dell Optiplex 740 that reboots early after loading the kernel.
   Includes 1 "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+" CPU.

2) A Supermicro H8DG6-F motherboard (only 1 socket populated) later on
   boot mostly when sshd start (or fc-cache is updated).
   Includes 1 "AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6128A" CPU

Since then i checked on a 3rd machine which has no problem so far.

3) A Sony VAIO VGNBZ12-VN laptop.
   Includes 1 Ïntel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz" CPU.

--
Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.