Re: Any users of EST_FREQ_USERWRITE and INTEL_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:42:07AM -0500, Jared McNeill wrote:
> Fallback to ODCM if neither acpicpu nor est are available, but don't
> remove it. Why would you have to add things to cpu_info? If you think you
> have to add extra things to cpuinfo you need to step back and rethink what
> you're doing.

The user interfaces are not compatible.[1] ODCM is entirely different thing
compared to frequency scaling technologies. It saves no power whatsoever on
all three systems I have tested it on. (If I had a lab environment, a good
hypothesis to validate empirically would be that it actually might increase
the power consumption.) Consequently, in my opinion it should stay as a
logically distinctive feature (or preferably, removed).

- Jukka.

[1] Nor would it be possible to use it in a KPI doing frequency management.