mpt timeouts with LSI Logic 22320 under 5.0.2

I'm experiencing timeouts with the mpt driver for an LSI Logic 22320 dual channel u320 controller. The timeouts seem to occur when doing intensive
operations such as forcing an fsck.  In looking through the list history
I found that having an 'ACPI kernel' was suggested. I'm using the GENERIC
kernel config which I believe supports ACPI.