Re: [PAE support] Types + cosmetic fixes

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:16:56AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> I'm not sure what the effect to configure and similar scripts would be.
> If this is for modules, I think this needs more though. I suspect some
> kernel build options can also cause ABI changes which can cause modules
> to fail, so modules should really be per kernel (at last for now, once
> we have a documented API useable by modules, this can be rediscussed).

Such differences would be bugs and should be fixed.  Our efforts
to eliminate major ABI differences from the kernel have to date
been largely successful.

Taking the path of least resistance (i.e. getting handwavy and working
around notional problems) would be an immense waste of effort.  I
refer you to this poem by Donald Rumsfeld:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are
known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don't
know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we do not know
we don't know."