Re: HT bug in some Intel CPUs ?

Manuel Bouyer writes:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:55:39AM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> > Manuel Bouyer writes:
> > > Hi,
[snip]

> > They don't show up as hyperthreaded in 3.0, but do in 5.0.1.
>
> Did you try a SMP 3.0 kernel ? Maube a ACPI issue ?

Yes.. the box has been running GENERIC.MP for ages without issue.

> > > [...]
> > > Did someone else notice something similar, or have informations about
> > > such bug ?
> >
> > I'd like to think that whatever issue you're seeing is the same one I
> > have... Would disabling hyperthreading help at all to provide a
> > datapoint?
>
> That would, of course. Now there may be other issues :)

I'll see if I can schedule a quick downtime and turn off
hyperthreading... But yes, it's the "may be other issues" I'm mostly
concerned about :-}

> > (After an uptime of 330+ days, having 3 hangs in a week
> > isn't giving me warm, fuzzy feelings :-/ The machine in question
> > is an IBM x336 that has been rock-stable under 3.0)
>
> I also have a similar box: same motherboard, with two
> cpu0: Intel (686-class), 3000.23 MHz, id 0xf43
> 3Ghz Xeon that is also due for upgrade. I'll see if it can run
> SMP without hyperthreading. I'll probably test this this in a few
> days.

Cool... I'm going to try turning off hyperthreading in a few hours...
of course, it's taken anywhere from 2 days to 2 minutes to see the
hang show up :-/

Later...

Greg Oster