Re: default kern.ipc.shmmaxpgs is too low

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:49:48PM -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 09:20:19PM -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
>>> Any chance of bumping the default to something a bit more reasonable?
>>>  gtk apps and mplayer both complain about not being able to allocate
>>> shm  with the default configuration, bumping it to 8192 makes
>>> everything happy.
>>
>> Practically speaking, I would suggest to making the default limit
>> something like 1024 pages or 1/4 of the physical memory, what ever is
>> higher. Also helps for things like PostgreSQL.
>
> The current default is 2048 on i386, so 1024 isn't going to be enough.

You forgot the second part of the clause. I don't mind 2048 pages either,
I don't think you will have much fun with less than 16MB of memory
either. One important aspect here is that shm pages are physically
backed in the current form, so they can be used to hog resources quite
easily.

Joerg