Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Antti Kantee wrote:

> So, I think I like the Linux approach where you can decide in
> your config file if you want something as a module or not at all.
> Then just integrate module building with kernel building and that's it.
> GENERIC has everything on as modules and GARGANTUA has everything built-in
> (preferably sharing some config aspects).  Considering that the new-style
> modules don't have any code path differences between built-in and module,
> I think we can support both.  Although it's a bit of a strech for me,
> I'm willing to try to see why people want monolithic gunk - sometimes
> it's just more practical (cf. static linking).

Just to show part of the FreeBSD way. FreeBSD (by default) always builds
the modules along with the kernel.

Define NO_MODULES to disable building modules with the kernel by default.

MODULES_OVERRIDE lists modules to build instead of all of them.

WITHOUT_MODULES lists modules to never build. This is easier than setting
MODULES_OVERRIDE.

(To me is a lot simpler than the numerous settings as used by Linux
kernel.)