Re: Kernel core dumps on amd64

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:

Paul Goyette wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
Can anyone reliably dump core on a -current amd64? I can't; out of the 11 tries it only succeeded once, and then savecore proceeded to ignore the dump for whatever reason. A 12th test using the panic key produced a null pointer dereference in __wdstart while dumping (after about 5Mibyte of the 2Gibyte total).
I had a core dump yesterday while playing with some local kernel mods. It worked just fine.

Here it (10 out of 11 times) hangs right after 'syncing disks...'. I really don't get what it's hanging on. The kernel is GENERIC except for options EST_DEBUG and EST_FREQ_USERWRITE.

I think this is a separate issue. I just tried to reboot one of my machines, and it hung for 30+ minutes at the "Unmounting file systems" stage. I had to use the reset button to make it reboot.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |