Re: wm(4) problems

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:51:19PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:57:09PM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> >     Is it possible you have a bad ethernet cable?  That kind of error
> > sounds like either a bad cable or a bad port on the switch.  I'm not saying
> > it's not a driver bug, but if it's generating CRC errors on the other side,
> > that's sounding very hardwareish!
>
> I suspect CRC errors can be generated if the PHY isn't set up properly.

Yes, and there's something terribly wrong with at least one of our PHY
drivers for this chip.  Since we (still, AFAICT) do not have a dmesg
from the system on which this particular problem is reported, we can't
actually debug this much further, I'm afraid -- we can't see which PHY
is present and which PHY driver is in use.

On newer wm hardware with -current drivers, it sometimes helps to disable
ikphy and use ukphy, which appears to work correctly in many cases where
ikphy does not.

Thor