Subject: Re: Linux emul problems
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/22/2007 14:16:51
In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.0710191301420.20719@maailma.local>,
Arto Huusko  <arto.huusko@pp2.inet.fi> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>a couple of problems with linux emulation, both 32bit and 64bit, with kernel
>compiled from sources from this morning.
>
>First is with linux 32 bit emulation, although maybe it is not
>even supposed to be supported (I couldn't find an accurate statement
>about whether it actually is or not supported):
>
># /emul/linux32/bin/chown root /emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/
>/emul/linux32/bin/chown: changing ownership of
>`/emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/': Function not implemented
>
>and
>
># /emul/linux32/bin/chgrp operator /emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/
>/emul/linux32/bin/chgrp: changing group of
>`/emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/': Function not implemented
>
>64 bit linux chown and chgrp work just fine.
>
>The second problem so far is with java. 64-bit 1.5.0_12 and 1.6.0_02 core dump
>immediately, even when trying to run just "java -version".

This is because of fs, gs lossage. fvdl tried to fix it, but it caused
different breakage and he backed it out.

>32 bit java does not start, because it complains that it cant't reserve
>enough space for object heap. This is usually because of too small data
>size limit, but I have it at 1G (and stack limit 4M).
>proc is mounted with -o linux, so that should not be a problem.

I don't see that; I see:
- text relocation errors [which I've fixed by commenting out the relevant check]
- random core-dumps

>If it makes any difference, java 6 also core dumps on i386 when anything
>a bit more complicated is run, but "java -version" runs just fine there.

Also our netbsd-32 natively compiled java does not work on amd64 too.

christos